Thursday, June 30, 2011

Potty training: It's a crap shoot. Literally.

The previous pictures represent my entire life the past few days. Everything potty.

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this parenting gig...

We have been knee deep (literally) in potty training Dixon. 

We have had multiple #1 accidents and many varieties of #2 ones.

This is stressful. I keep having to remind myself, just as I have done many times before, that when you are raising children, everything is a phase.
Let's just say he is one very determined boy. And he loves his diapers. And he does not mind being in a wet or dirty diaper for any extended period of time. Good thing I am also one determined mama.

I have only found one thing to work. Bribery. 

If Dixon goes "peepee on the potty" he gets either a Car toy or a Playmobil toy. 

I know, I know, I have taken all of the classes on intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation. I am at a loss. 

He will not do it for food. He will not do it for a sticker. He will not do it for a song or dance. (As a matter of fact, he recently told  me, "Mommy no more singing.") He will not sit on a little potty. He will not sit on a regular potty. He will not sit on a potty that is not in our home.

So I decided to use the wise words of my old friend Jackie who told me to find his currency (what he will work for) and use it, even if you go broke. So I am going broke. I justify it by figuring the price of diapers for the rest of his life vs the price of rewards. 

If and when he goes poppy on the potty, I have promised him a BMW.

4 comments:

CarsonFamily said...

CALL ME KENDRA!!!

Unknown said...

Keep up the hard work momma. It will pay off. We have finally gone #2 in the potty almost 6 months post potty trained and it is worth everything!

hapi said...

Hi Kendra ;), Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.