Friday, December 3, 2010

trigger thumb, take two.

Yes. You heard me right. 

I think I knew from the moment, right before surgery, when I asked the doctor if this would make him all better. 

Dr. L just smiled and told me that he has had 100% success with trigger thumbs, "but there always has to be a first."

Boy, those words stuck with me. 

About a month ago I noticed that only one of Dixon's thumbs was bending as it should. I quickly made an appointment to see Dr. L, who was in disbelief. The took one look at Dixon's thumb and said, "You made a liar out of me." :)

I ensured him that it was not his fault, Dixon just has his mother's luck. ;)

He determined that Dixon had too much scar tissue built up on his thumb for it to work properly. He told us that we could massage the scar tissue to break it up, but he would most likely need additional surgery. Dixon screamed his bloody brains out each time we even looked at his thumb did not tolerate the massage well. I have still been working with the massage, but I have heard that it needs to be a deep massage to really be effective. So it looks like we will be going in for our scheduled surgery next Friday the 10th. 

This surgery will be better in that they will only be operating on one thumb. However the surgery is more invasive than the first time, so his arm will be in a splint and recovery time will be longer. 
We wish that we did not have to put Dixon through this again, but we are VERY thankful our biggest health concerns are Trigger Thumbs. Still we would love your prayers and positive thoughts next Friday as we head back to the big city for trigger thumb, take two.



2 comments:

CarsonFamily said...

sad face! poor dixon!

thesmiths1013 said...

ahh man! :( Here I am feeling horrible over two fevers of 103.5! Hang in there lady! Perhaps you should pick your retail therapy purchase now for the 10th? ;) <3 you!